History

In the early 1950s some pastors in Florida saw the need for a Bible institute to educate pastors and Christian workers. Emmaus Baptist College had its beginnings in October of 1954 when the Florida Baptist Institute and Seminary was organized at First Missionary Baptist Church of Auburndale. It operated as a part-time, two night a week school. During the 1955-56 school year it operated under the sponsorship of the Eastside Baptist Church of Mulberry. The first full-time school year was the 1956-57 term with Grace Baptist Church in Lakeland as sponsor.

Past Presidents

W. W. Watson
1954-55

E. E. Swearingen
1955-56

Earl Lewallen
1956-57

Albert Garner
1957-70

Hugh Harris
1970-80

R. H. Adams
1980-95

Darvie Fenison
1995-97

Ed Brown
1997-98

Ray Kirkland
1998-2003


Ray McAlister
2003-2014

The school was moved to Lakeland in the summer of 1957 and Dr. Albert Garner was called as the first full time president, a position he held until August of 1970. During his tenure the school received a state charter, was approved for training veterans and foreign non-immigrant students. By 1966 the school had developed an eight and a half acre campus in Lakeland.

In 1968 Florida Baptist College was organized. Florida Baptist College and Florida Baptist Institute and Seminary were placed under the administration of Florida Baptist Schools, Inc.

Because of the generous offer of Oakwood Baptist Church of Brandon to give its property to the school, in 1989 the campus in Lakeland was sold and the school moved to Brandon where a new educational building was completed in 1990.

In 2007 the name of the school was changed to Emmaus Baptist College, a name that refers to one of the greatest teaching experiences in the Bible (Luke 24). Today the school enjoys a beautiful ten acre campus located in a quiet residential neighborhood in Brandon, Florida. In its 53 year history Emmaus Baptist College has over a thousand alumni scattered literally around the globe, faithfully serving in their God called fields.